Wednesday, December 10, 2014

This is why it's been so quiet around here lately

In the summer of 2012 I had my Mexican made '74 VW Safari fixed up, bought a longboard and moved to Costa Rica.
Since then I've slowly been adapting to the life of a beach bum...  photo palmtree-1.jpg
living off coconuts...
... all sorts of shellfish...
... and well... beer of course:
At some point, I developed a passion for botany and began hunting for epiphytic orchids and bromeliads up in the cloud forests of the mountains around our house:

 photo epiphytes-1.jpg


I still have record shipments coming in from Ghana and Nigeria and I'm also working on various re-issue projects about which I will post here on the blog as they are hitting the market but for the next few years I will spend most of my time with non-record-related activities, away from nightclubs and away from the internet. However, I might still play the occasional party around Latin America and in October, when the rainy season here gets a bit too wet for my liking I'll return to Europe and Asia for some dj parties. Just keep checking to your right under "dj gigs".

Here's a Nigerian funk mix, I put together with some recent new discoveries. Sorry, I'm not publishing track lists anymore but there's a ton more mixes all throughout the other posts of this blog and all of the older ones come with complete track lists. Enjoy!

13 comments:

Sean said...

Hey Frank,

What town/part of Costa Rica is this? Looks very nice! Similar to many places I've been there.

Frank said...

Hey Sean, the pictures are from different spots. Top one with the car was close to the Southern Caribbean coast near Manzanillo, almost in Panama. The beach shots are from a super remote place on the Osa peninsula that can only be reached with a one hour speedboat ride and me in the tree is in the mountains above San Antonio near Carmen de Escazu.

Sean said...

Thanks for sharing Frank. I always wanted to check out the Caribbean side. Been wrestling over where to visit in that part of the country. In the process of planning a little escape this summer.

Frank said...

The further down the South, the better. I would avoid Puerto Viejo as they have a serious crime problem and the place is swarming with faux rastas and gringo backpackers, further down around Manzanillo it's much, much nicer and you'll have miles and miles of pristine beach all to yourself. you can use the email link above to get in touch if you want further information on other spots that are off the beaten path.

Sean said...

Thank you Frank. Very much appreciate the advice! Puerto Viejo sounds like a nightmare, I'll indeed stick to the South.

digga said...

Hey Frank: no download? would like to play this on my radio show...

Frank said...

I just enabled downloads... wasn't even aware that there was an option to do this.

BROTHEROFSOUL said...

Salut Frank, j'ai reconnu
Mighty Flames,
Akwassa ( les 2 albums ),
Clément Djimogne,
Tony Grey
Par contre le 2ème morceau je connais pas mais il est terrible, merci pour les collectionneurs de mp3 sur internet
Ercan (BROTHEROFSOUL)

Nathan Lewis said...

I love you man... My life was incomplete before I found your site. Keep the music coming...

Iain said...

No offense but I might officially have to hate you..... Just because I'm jealous...... WOW!

istrijan said...

klatsch nicht runter :P

Anonymous said...

Very happy for you, Frank. Very happy that you're finding a nice balance between life and work and everything else. It's definitely our loss in the US that we can't see and hear you spin every other week or so. DC certainly misses you but all good and keep bangin' thanks for what you do

Rob said...

You seem to be living the dream life. Thanks for the work put in toward reissuing these records. It sounds like there is some nath and martin brothers in that mix